About 10 minutes ago, I learned an important lesson: make sure you fully qualify the folder you want to sync. And don’t use the delete option if you’re not entirely sure how to use it. The bad news is that I accidentally deleted this website and panicked for a second.
But I like to look at it on the bright side. For about 10 minutes of downtime, the good news is:
- There’s a reason why people don’t just use root all the time. I need to be better about this, because it paid off majorly this time to not have permissions
- my laziness in working on my website template means that I didn’t accidentally erase a bunch of work
- I now know how rsync works a bit better
- It caused me to backup my blog database so that the next time there’s a disaster, I’ll only be partially screwed
- I didn’t need to upgrade wordpress because a fresh install does that, too
Wow. That could’ve been a lot worse.